View Single Post
Old July 5, 2015   #17
TheUrbanFarmer
Tomatovillian™

Cole Robbie - Let me know what you think, and by all means, feel free to share a picture in this thread of your plants / tomatoes as well. It helps me out a lot to see other people growing the same thing! As far as the buckets, the main reason for using them is it is a way to re-purpose the cat litter buckets, in which case makes them free.

IF I were to take the time to make a bed, I'd be filling it full of dirt and using it like a proper bed. I think in all honesty, I under-estimated how much I was going to enjoy growing tomatoes. I thought in my mind that 2 beds would be enough. I should have known my natural tendency to dive into something head first would kick in.

There are many things I would have done differently, I can admit this! I would have made my walk ways tighter. I originally thought I was going to mow the grass in between the beds, but I had read (somewhere ??) the carbon monoxide from gasoline engines can affect the taste of tomatoes and that is the last thing I'd want.

So, given my garden is small, I have taken to sheering the grass by hand along side the beds and honestly, I pace and look at the plants so much, the grass and weeds in the center of the rows hasn't grown up much...hahahaha!!!

But that aside, I would have put the rows closer together, knowing now I wouldn't be running a mower through there. I also could have technically had 3.5 more FULL beds in the yard had I done this. TALK ABOUT DROPPING THE BALL.

I have around $250 in costs for the construction of the beds and that includes 6mil plastic, lumber, t-posts, 14 gauge wire, and the weed barrier fabric. That does not factor in the cost of the soil. Of that cost though, only about $115 was in lumber, and I had some left over still. So figure for another $120 I could have built the other beds, as I have plenty of plastic and weed fabric left and I can always make more soil.

All in all when I get to the heart of the matter, the main reason for not doing more beds, was that extra $120 felt REALLY prohibitive at the time. This garden was put together on a tight budget and I suppose the decision to "fill in" with buckets indicates exactly how tight of a budget!!

I don't mind watering but I've just started participating in my second Farmers Market and I realize time is becoming more and more crunched. The ability to just turn a valve and have the whole garden watered is certainly what I consider "ideal" so I've been plotting scenarios where such would be possible.

I've got an idea for watering that I'm digesting still. Thinking large tank for rain water collection (300 gallon) > valve > some pvc > some drip lines and emitters and let gravity do the rest.

Worth1 - I'm not sure why you can't see them?? I double checked and who can view my album is not restricted in any way.

Is anyone else having an issue seeing pictures?
TheUrbanFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote