Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old September 25, 2017   #75
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
what do you do with the eggplant? .
Carolyn, Where would you like me to start ;-)

1) How about the beginning, with Worth's starting of this thread, and his comment herewith

>>> Fried eggplant is the bomb.
Worth
>>>

That is probably the simplest and my favorite recipe. slice eggplants 1/2 in thick, leave skin on, longitudinally (length wise). Salt and let drain/ooze some water, either on a paper towel/paper plate, or in a colander. Pat dry then deep fry in oil -plain, no bread crumbs, or flour, or nothing else IMO. Remove and pat dry again, or let rest on rack. When cool to eat, enjoy with pita bread (another dash of salt if needed.) Skin is super easy to remove (it peels right off) if undesired or tough.

Salting and draining the EP is a common technique that causes it to lose some of the bitterness (if any) and water and its propensity to absorb oil. I don't have the scientific proof or evidence, YMMV.

2) Alternate: instead of frying, same technique can be used for grilling. After prepping eggplant (slice, salt and pat dry,) brush with EVOO and grill. Consumption method can be the same as above, or use your creativity.

added>>>>>

In the above 2 recipes, by leaving skin on, it hold the soft and mushy meat of the EP together, until it is devoured. If cutting the EG into small pieces, remove skin unless it is soft and/or you like it.

to be continued...

Last edited by taboule; September 25, 2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added some rationale for skin-on
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote