View Single Post
Old September 30, 2012   #19
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
The only pest I have to deal with is rats/mice. This year they preferred the Brandywines. One thing is for sure is they know their tomatoes. Ami
YEP! I just killed 2 mice in my garden last night with mouse traps! One was so huge and fat I think he was hybridizing with the rats! They swarm my plants!

Edit: PS update! My dog just caught the giant they were hybridizing with! None too soon too. If my fall crop Broccoli looses any more leaves I will be growing green sticks!

Edit update! My dog and me just ran down an ever bigger even fatter one. What a chase! If he wasn't so stuffed full of broccoli tomatoes and sunflower seeds we might not have caught the bandit! But we did. Never saw anything like it before. Face kinda like gopher, rear legs like a kangaroo rat, fat as a balloon. Too big for my mouse traps, all they did was knock him silly and give me and my dog a chance to run him down. That's 4 species of rodent in 4 different sizes in one day! one field mouse (guessing technically around here must have been a deer mouse but I am no expert), one slightly smaller than a field mouse but with a tail three times longer, one giant mutant something with much larger eyes than most rodents and one even larger, big as a rat, but totally different than any rat I ever saw.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; October 1, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote