View Single Post
Old January 21, 2017   #54
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I order from them almost every year. This year, I am sending Linda Sapp some seeds to trial. I spoke to her on the phone day before yesterday, she is very nice.
Yes, she is very nice and I've known her since about 1989.She used to trial everything re tomatoes at where she and her now late husband lived, but when they moved she had to subcontract out and she's used several places for that including Adam Gleckler but now she's having Aaron Whaley,son of Kent,to do the seed production she needs at his huge place in WI.

I feel a bit guilty since for the past two years I haven't sent anything,and now it's too late for this year.

She and her help do all the germination tests before they send out any seed, and if you look in the catalog, or online you can see that many commercial farmers get their seeds from her,just b/c of the amounts they sell.

And I laugh a bit b/c each year she sends me two catalogs since she knows that I don't buy seeds,they appear and before I send any we talk over what she might need, I do that as well, as to more of this,nope,don't need any of that, etc.

The last time I tried to buy seeds from Linda was when pictures were being taken for my book in the summer of 1998 and in 1997 I did the growouts to be sure all were OK,they weren't, b/c when I tried to find my Dr.Carolyn seeds I couldn't, called her, and she sent two packs and wouldn't take a dime b/c I'd sent so many ones to trial before that.

Two problems she'shad are folks sending seeds that are contaminated,usually it's Fusarium,and there have been times when a variety wasn't what it should be and when reported,she has new stock made and then sends the new stuf to each person who originally had requested the seed,for free.

I am far from the only person who sent her seeds for trial,more so in the in earlier decades until about 4 years ago,and there are some here at Tville who have also sent seeds for trial. as well.

Carolyn