View Single Post
Old December 8, 2015   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

There are very few onions that do well down here. The Vidalia or Texas grano types do well here but they don't keep well. My favorite is just the plain white Bermuda which grows well here and is a decent keeper.

I start my seed sometime between early Oct. and early Dec. in my greenhouse; but it is best to start them in the middle of this time period. I put in a small window air conditioning unit to keep it cool enough to get good germination. I feed them regularly with liquid fertilizer because they are planted in DE. The DE makes it so much easier to separate them without losing so much of the root system when it is time to set them out. I set mine out as soon as they are about half the size of a pencil. I clip off the tops a few days before planting out so they are easier to handle and will stand up better and give them a good dose of fertilizer. I then let the DE dry out some so they are easy to get out and plant with a good root system intact. I then mulch them with pine bark fines to keep back some of the weeds and feed them weekly with TTF or some similar product.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote