View Single Post
Old January 20, 2011   #10
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Cool! I turned my country friends onto home made tomatillo slasa after they told me how much they liked Taco Bell's Verde sauce. I drove out to see them when they were snowbound with 5 inches of snow (smart people who choose to stay put when they know they do not know how to drive on snow/slush) & brought the makings for tomatillo salsa. We cooked up a batch & used a Taco Bell packet to approximate the taste. They are sold on tomatillos & want to plant a bunch to make salsa from. I had 3 or 4 over ripe ones which I decided to save seed from.
Seeds drying on a paper towel to my left as I type.
Only things different from Taco Bell's sauce were - 1. no corn syrup - these tomatillos were very sweet & I generally avoid corn syrup; 2. no green bell pepper - I brought several varieties of sweet pepper from my store in the garage (picked at Thanksgiving) but none had that green-slightly bitter edge of green pepper (will fix that next summer). Otherwise, salt, onion, garlic, chili powder, lemon juice & vinegar & we were almost there (we liked our version better FTR).
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote