View Single Post
Old May 3, 2015   #59
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
bower, your post reminded me of an old tool I want.

There is a grinder type that I've wanted to find for decades now. I Met my stepmother's grandfather back in 1975. I was 10 years old, he was over 90. He was a very interesting man who raised chickens commercially. He showed us the whole place, and it was fascinating. In one small barn, he had a grinder for sharpening tools. No electricity - you cranked a handle. You could make it go as slow or fast as you wanted. That hand powered grinder impressed me more than everything else combined on his unique farmstead. Seeing and using that grinder really made me look at life in a better way.

It looks a lot like this one https://www.google.com/search?q=hand...56%3B624%3B416
Salt, that looks awesome!
The real hitch with cheap power tools is that you can't control the speed... the old fashioned way was actually better.

In my adventures with metalwork I had need for some highly polished hammers and work surface, such a tedious job I tried every possible shortcut... I went to several machine shops and paid to have the anvil ground as fine a surface as possible... it was ridiculous! I had to start all over and do it myself by hand.. there simply isn't a better way.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote