View Single Post
Old March 8, 2018   #17
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann123 View Post
No, not nosy :-)
I haven't. Gourds aren't 'usual' here. I have seen them in ethnic shops or museums but that is about it.
The reason I ask if you have crafted gourds before, not to be an old hen, and not to scare you, but those dried gourd shells are hard and smooth, even though I have enjoyed crafting gourds for quite awhile, I have to admit that I have cut the...( add vulgar exclamation here )...out of myself. And there might be dust...outside will take care of that.
Stuff awaits inside the gourd too. Spongy white,satiny...stuff...and more grainy stuff that the seeds grew on. Luckily, since your making bird houses, that 'stuff' can stay inside your gourds, the birds don't care. Just shake out most of the seeds. (Save some seeds to replant.) Don't forget to drill holes to hang your masterpieces! Some drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the birdhouses for drainage, and maybe for the perch. I don't bother with the perch unless I enter a gourd in the local fair.
Gourd crafts are fun. The gourds last forever too! Despite the above, I just don't want anyone to get hurt.
Look up Ginger Summit's: The Complete Book of Gourd Craft. Even if you never craft a gourd, this book is beautiful. I bet you can find it at the Library. I am not trying to sell anything, just mentioning a cool book.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote