Thread: Tomato Juice
View Single Post
Old September 24, 2015   #63
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

It is extremely difficult for me to keep tomato juice for more than a year. I make about 6 dozen quarts for myself and always run out before the next garden starts producing. But this might help a bit on the question of how long they keep when canned.

I also do at least a couple dozen quarts for my brother every year. My juice is always cooked down to where it is very thick. You can almost make peaks on it when you stir. I made three dozen for him last year and he has about 15 quarts left. He and I like to make what we call a "Redeye" by mixing our favorite lager beer with some tomato juice. It's a great morning drink "for a couple of old coots." I was just over there and we mixed them up and the tomato juice that was canned in July of 2014 was still tasting great. We both commented that we could see no degradation.

The only things I ever put into the juice is a little bit of canning salt (to my taste), and, occasionally a little bit of sugar when the tomato varieties are more tart. I use a pressure canner and stick to the recommended times and pressures. I traded him out of one quart and will keep it till next spring/summer to see if it will go two years.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; September 24, 2015 at 04:52 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote