View Single Post
Old May 30, 2016   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Yes that's right I have always wanted to do it I hate my kitchen.
It was designed for people that want to watch TV and warm up TV dinners.
On some paper somewhere I have it drawn up.
But to do this it had to be in my head first so I'm not looking fo these plans.
How I intend to do this is a little at a time.
Not the crazy BS they do on TV where the housewife takes a sledge hammer to the place and makes a huge mess.
I still need to cook right?
So where I am sitting right now will be the new place for a gas cook top and extra small sink.
The plumbing is already there to be used and in the right spot.
By doing this first I can then remove the microwave and stove from the other spot and work there when I want to.
There is 240 there so this is where the electric oven/ovens will be.

Then comes the stupid bar I never use for anything but stacking stuff on.
I can never seem to keep the thing cleared off.

If I move the bar outwards a little into the area I never use which is the living room I can have room for a small rolling prep table.
I haven't made my mind up yet on this one I need to look at it more but there will be more upper cabinets closing off the living area somewhat.
Of the big kettles I use most often are the 16 quart and 12 quart.
There are two big empty spaces that cant be accessed in two corners of the kitchen cabinets.
When I build the new cabinets I can get to them and this is where the most unused will end up.

I need to take some measurements and come up with a plan.
The cabinets wont be anything fancy but more rustic and functional.

Worth
I did a whole lot today including mowing our swamp/yard. I want to reply to a few things without reading the rest of the thread tonight. I'll read it all tomorrow. This is just friendly advice that comes from years of experience.

"There is 240 there so this is where the electric oven/ovens will be." Plural - ovens. You need two. One small one for baking a loaf of bread, and a normal or larger one to use for larger things. I have two - one gas and one electric - both have their purposes.

"Then comes the stupid bar I never use for anything but stacking stuff on.
I can never seem to keep the thing cleared off." Bars are often times used as a store-all. It's a habit. But think of it as a work station. Only certain stuff goes there. If you use it to cut up veges/meat, make bread dough and stuff like that - only allow yourself to put things like that on the bar. It isn't there for books and mail. It has a purpose - it's a work station.

Incorporating your kitchen and living room is a very good idea. The open feeling - it gives the whole area a better feeling. I would never go back to having a kitchen as a separate room. A bar is in-between our kitchen and living room. 1/4 of the bar is used for this computer, and the other 3/4 is used for preparing food. Cabinets are under the bar to hold pots and pans, and storage bowls, etc.

Like I wrote above - it has been a long day. Time to dig out the other useful thing this bar holds - triple distilled 80 proof relaxation.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote