View Single Post
Old February 8, 2018   #4
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Another way would be to use plastic sheeting to wall off a full height narrow room just the back of your high tunnel and heat just that portion. It would hold more plants, you can go in and tend your plants without uncovering them and I think they would get more light
However if what you had worked for you last year maybe just go with that again
Thought about that. But I would rather have an insulating layer (whatever that might end up being) closer to the plants, since heat rises.

Light was never an issue as the plastic is/was rolled up each morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I divided my greenhouse in half by tucking left over greenhouse plastic between an arch and the covering, dropping it clear to the floor. keeping it heated with an electric heater. I was doing that in Feb up here.
how cold is it there?
The weather can flucuate something-else here. But in general our average low in Feb. is 32, Mar. 38, Apr. 47..

Quote:
do you keep a remote sensor to monitor or measure the nighttime temps?
Yep, sure do.

Quote:
I have my thermostat set to run the furnace at 40° and remote sensors to watch the temps. in the greenhouses.
Dang, 40 degrees? I might have to look for a thermostat that can go lower then.

Quote:
We put arches in the high tunnel and cover those crops with row cover to protect them. I have to uncover each morning but that is just a part of trying to run on a shoestring budget.
I understand that. And yes, here in the morning, early, you have to uncover. Otherwise, you will cook some plants.

Quote:
as a matter of fact... my 30x96 has a row of lettuce transplants in it that I planted in the Fall along with a packet of seeds at the same time. there were a few below 0° nights.... I know it was below 0° but by how much? no idea. I was in texas at the time... but it was COLD! under the cover the lettuce survived and the seeds sprouted believe it or not! I was totally shocked to see how well it did. so... a tunnel inside a tunnel works very well, too. that said... a larger structure has a larger heat mass, too.
Well, that worked out nicely.

Quote:
I don't use plastic as a row cover inside the tunnels. I use row cover, plastic tends to keep too high of humidity. (see Cole-Robbies thread on " it gets colder inside than outside on his hightunnel"... I think it has to do with humidity) grow molds. then you are battling diseased plants before you even get started. if you chose to go that route make sure it is ventilated some. just my thoughts and observations on what has worked or happened here. (Kevin does most of my worrying )
Each morning before rolling up the plastic, there was definitely a film of moisture, thats for sure. Luckily, never had any disease issues.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote