View Single Post
Old May 23, 2019   #12
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
If I saw that on my tomatoes I'd say "Early Blight". And then I'd chop off all the bad leaves and get them out of the growing area. Sanitation pruning accomplishes two things:
1) Take away spores to reduce spread of the whatever, and
2) Improve air circulation to reduce damp areas where spores germinate
IMO this has to be done whether you spray or not, and no matter what disease/pest/deficiency is involved. Leaves in the process of rotting are full of micro-organisms you do not want handy to your plants. Ruthless pruning is required.

If this is only on the lower leaves, I would suggest feeding the plants as well.

That was my initial thought of what is was but looking at the brown areas there is no concentric circles at all. The photos of early and late blight I found show those circles.

Then someone said deficiency and it does look like a couple of deficiency types can look but the strange thing is that I have 5 gardeners delight and 9 sungold.

All 9 sungold were together in a row and all show the symptoms and the GD did not at all. But now the two GD plants that are right next to the Sungold row are showing symptoms the same which points to a spreading habit from one plant to its neighbour.

Its not simple to ID these things at all IMO like some people make out.
It could be to do with the cold, the soil, a fungus, a deficiency, watering.

It has baffled me and the changes I made this year like burying them very deeply, using microrizer, using concentrated chicken manure and taking plants from a neighbour. I will not repeat next year. Will keep it simple next time
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote