View Single Post
Old September 12, 2011   #7
vegomatic
Tomatovillian™

Overwintering is a recent "hot" topic, maybe because we're anticipating fall and frosts and all that nasty cold stuff which follows! Nothing's more fun than keeping a few plants going to convince you all is not lost and your favorite pepper plants can keep on producing indoors.

Here's some pics of the way I endeavored to overwinter several peppers and toms. The nice big Hungarian lasted 4 years, but I think most the others were retired in their second year due to diseases or just looking too tired to nurse indoors.

No special care, other than 8 tubes worth of shoplights or window light, plucking/pruning the dead stuff and enjoying the occasional ripe pepper.

The advantage beside the fruit and doing some "gardening" while the snow flies is getting it back out the following spring. it's already well-established and in flower/fruit stage as soon as it hits the dirt. It otherwise takes special care and an early start to get peppers started fresh from seed to ripen well here. Several years I got few to none, so overwintering sure seems to work for me!

The first pic of the Hungarian was taken in September. All the rest were in November. The last two are of the same Hungarian as the first pic. It lived by the sliding glass patio door and loved it. It made an attractive (and functional!) houseplant.

-Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepper1.jpg (95.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg pepper2.jpg (85.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg pepper3.jpg (60.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg pepper4.jpg (50.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg pepper5.jpg (76.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg pepper6.jpg (45.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg pepper7.jpg (89.6 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by vegomatic; September 12, 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: I'm forgetul!
vegomatic is offline   Reply With Quote