View Single Post
Old May 15, 2012   #1
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Default Whole pickled red tomatoes !

A cousin's ladyfriend, who is Romanian by birth (Not quite clear as to whether this recipe came from the old world or not) Brought an old country store pickle jar (3 gallon I'd guess) of whole pickled red tomatoes to our Thanksgiving get together.

Very little if any pickling spice, Just Apple cider vinegar, Lots of garlic, Dill weed and salt. No one had ever seen its like before. Never even heard of pickling ripe tomatoes. So the jar just sat there.

Now I love most anything sour. And a garlic dill pickle (made by a Waldensian) was one of the best things I had ever eaten. That along with simply not wanting the girl's feeling hurt led me to open the big jar and sample one...

Oh man ! These things were the bomb ! ! ! ! And when the family caught on, two thirds of the jar was emptied. She was kind enough to give me the rest. They lasted maybe a week and I want more !

The tomatoes used were 2-2.5 inches across and round (Any ideas) and made me think of a small Rutger.

If any of you have a detailed recipe (the girl's mother made these and she could only give a rough idea of how they were made) for these please share !
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote