View Single Post
Old December 20, 2014   #36
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I have determined that being "just another tomato guy" at the market is futile. If you sell what everyone else sells you have no advantage. Last year I sold a few hybrid varieties as well as dozens of OP and heirloom varieties of all sizes. Next year I am not going to offer any hybrids. There are way too many vendors selling them to make them worthwhile for the time, effort and space they take up.

Last year I offered over 50 varieties of cherry tomatoes and dozens of varieties of OP and heirlooms. I offered people the option of "make your own basket" where I let them fill a pint basket as full as they could with whatever they wanted, and I have begun to develop this as my niche. I am getting known for it. Other vendors marvel at the range of varieties I offer...albeit not much quantity of any variety.

Next year I'm not even going to offer many classic heirlooms because many vendors are picking up on them. Now everybody sells Cherokee Purple, Brandywine and some yellows/oranges and blacks, etc.

Next year I'm going with mostly Amazing Tomatoes that really do amaze customers. These include most of Wild Boar, J & L Gardens, Tom Wagner, Fred Hempel types. So far I have over 170 varieties planned. I put out a couple of each variety in those plastic clam shells (n the open position to make 24 cups) made for apples and refill them as they are sold. It makes the presentation look amazing. Offering samples warms up the buyers. I now have several very faithful customers who don't miss a single market. I have 8 of the clam shells that hold 24 each, and I have very few duplicated varieties.

I'm psyched for next season!
Charley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I have debated going all of cherries with only a few hybrids like big beef and better boy to go with them but then I wonder whether I should try to grow only colorful heirlooms/cherries and try to make that my niche. Most other growers at my market have little selection and grow mostly Mountain varieties. I guess ultimately it will come down to trial and error but I would much rather grow some nice heirlooms than the same meh tasting tomatoes as everyone else.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote