Thread: Pole beans
View Single Post
Old September 11, 2017   #70
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I guess I have really good drainage set up now, doing deep broadfork aeration, then simply covering the seed row with compost. We are not in a flood plain, but I do remember years when the garden was wet and water stood on top of that hard packed clay. It was wet this year, but not in a bad way for me. I haven't had to water for a long time, so I think it's been great. The raised beds were amazing on peas and then bush beans, and the pole beans were great last year and better this year with a little more air in the middle.

My only real problem gardening is squash bugs, vine borers, and cucumber beetles ravage the squash and melons, and I am super reluctant to use pesticides. Well, those, and the imported spotted lantern flies are going to get really bad. I'm not sure how much damage they will do. They sit on the okra but I can't tell if they hurt it. There are so many I want to cry or vomit, its just sad and unnecessary that they are even here, and they are going to spread like crazy. Many thousands, likely millions, are hitching rides on vehicles this past month.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote