View Single Post
Old June 18, 2018   #11
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I started with heavy clay soil and have been tilling and amending it for several years. My % organic matter by soil test is usually about 10% and most of my garden soil is now dark, fluffy and nice although sometimes I find a patch which seems really clay-y and things do not grow well there unless I mix it up with some other garden soil.

Clay soil does hold nutrients better than other soils so it is not ALL bad.

Interesting photos. I wish we could fast forward and see the end result in a few years!

How soon will you plant in those beds?

I have hasd stuff grow directly in "my" clay soil no problems, but its too hard to work.

hugelkultur beds Last year

• plants around the pond, clay and rocks

front yard 100percent clay, just mulch.

same on this hill

this is 2018 so far.

Hugelbed

Mostly clay just added a few inches of compost and black kow last year

Retaining wall in front of fence, about 80 percent clay, I dug out a bunch of arborvitaes, built the retaining wall then back filled with whatever compost I had in the bin at the time and added bio-char over the winter.

Raised beds in front of the retaining wall were filled with the dug out clay from the front of the retaining wall and amended with peat and Black Kow.

Mostly clay, may have peat too?

All clay, just topped with compost and mulch last year and mulched again this year, around the tree I put down cardboard in the spring and topped with arborvitae trimmings then mulched, you need a pick axe to dig in this area.
The only area i dug out a bit and amended was around the horseradish plant.

One advantage to clay is when I laid my patios, I just laid the pavers on top of the clay...cheater ... lol.

This stuff is heavy too!

Last edited by SQWIBB; June 18, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote