Thread: should I mow?
View Single Post
Old March 24, 2016   #17
creister
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Is this annual rye or perennial rye grass?
One or the other I sure as heck wouldn't till it in.
The roots broke up the soil for you and the worms will come up and bring the dead plant matter into the soil.
Tomato roots can go through some pretty hard soil anyway.
They dont need loose potting soil to grow in.
Worth
I agree with just chopping it down and letting it lay. I have have cover cropped for several years, and have never tilled it in. A few things you may want to consider:

1.). Use a string line trimmer (weed eater) if you have one, you can cut it lower to the soil line.

2.). Rake back all the trimmings and spread your compost, then cover with the grass clippings. If you can, cover with mulch of shredded leaves or shredded tree trimming.

3.). I read somewhere to wait until the rye has seed heads on it before you cut it. Theory is that you will get the most biomass of roots and leaves etc. this way.

4.). Next year consider mixing in hairy vetch or Austrian winter pea to up the nitrogen in the soil.

All that being said, there are many ways too do this, experiment as that is how you will discover what works best for you. A lot of great answers in this thread.

I don't till for the reasons Worth and others mentioned, but in my garden, tilling seems to increase the amount of weeds. It will put all the wind blown seeds down into the soil allowing them to germinate.

Good luck.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote