View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #19
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Great pics of kitty's and carrots!! I have a very ordinary very fat orange tabby that I love dearly. He is king he rules the house.
Those carrots are incredible. I cannot grow root veggies to save my life, except for radishes. Tried growing kohlrabi and turnips last year and nary a root formed, only plants?!? The carrots were very tiny but the tops were lush. Everything else flourished. There must be a secret I am not in on lol.
I felt that way for years too, Jillian. I tried growing them in a block like my garden books said and even added more height to the sides of that raised bed so they would have deeper soil to grow in. They never produced very good carrots. I mean, I would get something, but not nice fat ones like I got in 2015. And actually, I grew some in a similar manner in 2014 and that made me want to do much, much more this way in 2015 because we eat a lot of carrots. Perhaps carrots do like tomatoes like that companion planting book title. As I said, I didn't do much with the carrots, just let them be. I think growing them along the soaker hose helped. The tomatoes get compost and mulch, but I don't think much of that made it's way over to the carrots, but who knows. There is the old adage that lots of green = too much nitrogen. Could that be the case with your carrots?
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote