View Single Post
Old July 10, 2017   #33
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
StrongPlant, did you get them this year as well?
In case you did, can you post a picture of leaves only half affected? (like ongoing).
I have an really puzzling problem, that looks like the russet mites pictures, except I can't find any (with magnification). The problem starts appearing about half way on the plant, so quite unusual for mites.
I will look today in other areas that are not affected, maybe they moved...
Unfortunatelly these are the only pictures I have when the damage is quite significat:

The best way to identify them is to actually see them.They are impossible to see with a naked eye so as ginger said,you need good magnification(best to use a microscope,even a cheap toy one will do).Note that the mites are on the underside of the leaves and can also be found on stems.The mites are offten described as "torpedo shaped".

This year some other kind of mite appeared on my toms,I sprayed once with abamectin about 2 months ago,which is said to have the best effect on this specific mite:

http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/...e/a_lycope.htm

It worked,abamectin seems to be really effective on mites and it degrades quickly in environment so you don't have to worry about residue.Hope this helps.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote