View Single Post
Old February 8, 2018   #10
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah that one only has 30-50% light transmittance so it is mostly for dormant perennials afaik. Would be okay for side walls or a side perimeter but it would not allow enough light for seedlings to grow.

The manufacturers will tell you both light transmittance and number of degrees of protection for the different weights. It would be abnormal to go below 80% light transmittance for anything actively growing (unless you use it at night only).

The stuff I used for my perimeter sides was extra heavy - came from Dollarama with no transmittance value and I think pretty low. The stuff was no good outdoors, torn up in no time by wind and basically disintegrating at the drop of a hat, but it worked fine for inside the greenhouse and was only $2 for I believe a 20 ft by 7 ft piece. I had a friend used them as 'bunting' for her wedding then gave em to me afterwards.

Okay just checked amazon for 'agribon' that is the professional brand we use at the farm - my mistake! The ag-50 is also only 50% light transmittance with 8 degrees of frost protection. And more expensive.
The ag-30 has 70% transmittance and 6 degrees of protection.
Agribon or the dealers of their product should be happy to discuss your needs and recommend one or the other weight - whether you buy their product or not.

Last edited by bower; February 8, 2018 at 12:42 PM.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote