View Single Post
Old February 27, 2018   #46
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Loulac, im not sure if your asking questions, or commenting, but I thought I was thorough in my post. Ill address this point by point. Seems you have some doubts about my intentions and the how and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I think there's a huge waste of heat under the cables. Why not buy insulating panels -styrofoam - in the building industry, about one inch thick.
This was just a quick and dirty test. It had the added benefit to get the plug trays through the cold night. Matter of fact, I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
Since we have some cold weather coming back, I figured now is the time. This is a not permanent install. Just a test. Further tests will be needed, but so far its looking good.
I also said:

Quote:
Loosely covered with a scrap of greenhouse plastic. So far the results were promising. During the day, when it was only in the low 50's outside, the bench topped out at about 72.
Quote:
Another suggestion : the heat will be concentrated above the cable. I would bury it in half an inch of sand.
I said this, in response to Rajun's comment:

Quote:
You bring up a good point. In the end, I *think* I want to build a bench that contains either sand or pea gravel, with the heat cable about 1/4 inch deep. Something like that.
Being that I plan to build a bench that contains sand or pea gravel, something will have to be in the bottom of that bench to contain the contents. I assumed that something like foam was implied and understood.

Quote:
A thermostat looks compulsory unless you check the temperature constantly and are ready to switch the cable on and off 24 hours a day.
I did say:

Quote:
Im thinking if this was really tightened up, it would work much better. Will have to look into a thermostat for it.

Quote:
500 watts is impressive when a 60 ft long gardening heating cable only burns 90 watts...
I said this:

Quote:
Several years ago I bought a 100 foot long gutter heat cable. The kind that is designed to keep ice from forming on the roof/gutter line. Its been in my stash, packed away. I want to say its 500 watt. But I could be wrong.
So, its a de-icing cable, rated at 5 watts per foot, not a "gardening heating cable, that is 60ft". Here is the exact product in question:

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Heat-ADK...=easy+heat+100

Did I miss anything?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote