View Single Post
Old June 10, 2019   #45
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well it is a prime opportunity to get some seed - maybe lots of seed. I've been thinking about it and went down the rows just to look at what traits are or might be genetic and should select this year. There are 72 individual clumps (maybe 71 iirc I divided one clump, but no flowers on that one anyway).
Aside from the stem and bud color traits which are very diverse, there is substantial variation in the size of the plants. I know that might be due to crowding or micro-environment but it could be genetics too, especially where size difference is extreme. So for starters I think I will pinch any buds off the plants with the smallest shoots, and let them be, see if they produce some small bulbs, but screen some of that tiny size out of the seed lot.
Also I think I might have to do two separate seed lots, those that are early and those that flower later.

On one hand, early flowering could also be "readily bolting" which you don't want to select for. But I have a theory in mind, that the early flowering may also have more time to get over it, and still bulb nicely in the fall as some of our perennial onions seem to do. Guess I'll see how that plays out this year. It would suit me to grow these as perennials.

TBH I am looking for early flowering alliums to help fill a gap in seasonal bee forage here as well. I would like to conserve all the color diversity, for now, maybe separate them in another year.
If anyone has other suggestions about how to select seed plants from this batch, would be welcome to hear.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote