View Single Post
Old August 12, 2010   #50
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Mr. Stripey. Bleah.

RJ - I grew Old German last year and had terrific results. It was extremely late, but still set fruit and in fact was setting fruit much further into the Texas summer heat than any of the other varieties I grew (admittedly only 6 other varieties). It got me through August when all other plants were done in July. It produced enormous (biggest was almost 2 pounds) bi-color fruit that was almost all meat and hardly any gel. My friends and family all enjoyed the taste, which was admittedly not as good as my favorites, but still very tasty, including some nuances/essences of other fruits and was unlike any tomato I've grown.

In short, if you've only grown it once, maybe give it one more try in a different year and see if it does any better for you.
I'm moving to a shorter season climate like 100 days, I had 240+ days when I grew it last year. It set a couple fruit, the wife picked a larger one that hadn't blushed to give to a neighbor and the few remaining went soft on the vine before they blushed. I might try it if I end up in a long growing season again.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote