View Single Post
Old November 7, 2016   #293
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Great to see you back! Assuming it *is* you and not a ghost of some sort. Do you have half your tomatoes still performing this late?

I suspect that you're right about root depths. My paternal grandmother used to grow large gardens out on the ranch in the early 20th century and had no way to supplement water. I've thought that it must have been that she was able to plant varieties that put down deep roots during the spring rain periods and used those to survive the rest of the largely rainless summer.
Yes I am still picking tomatoes daily. Big unruly indeterminates though. None others made it through the heat this year. Oh and it's me all right. I have been lurking a bit, but mostly not posting much due to other reasons. I have missed this place though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote