Thread: Asian Eggplant
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #32
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Starlight >>> With the long forming eggplants, do they drag on the ground? Do the fruits need to be staked?

Nope, no different than any other eggplant. I stake my plants as a general rule, especially when they get loaded.

>>>I have a question too before I forget. Do the Asian cultivars have thorns on their leaves? The last time I grew Black Beauty I had a couple of normal looking plants and one that had wicked big thorns all over the leaves.

I've seen thorns on leaves on different varieties, no big deal.

>>> Taboule... I just learned a few days ago what tahine was. They had used it on a cooking show.

Same recipe can be used to make Hommus: Blend chick peas + tahini + garlic paste + lemon juice. Good old Lebanese dishes.

>>> Do these Asian eggplants need any extra fertilizer or special treatment? Do they have alot of foliage? I am thinking about the 4 to 5 months of blistering heat and humidity and wondering if I should put them in a place where they get some filtered shade.

Again, no different than BB or others. To max out on plant size and production: warm feet early in the spring (I use grey grow bags), plenty of sun, and never let them dry out in the summer.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote