View Single Post
Old February 7, 2018   #16
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Since everyone is giving their 2˘, here's mine.

Slowing the growth down in short season areas isn't a good thing so I wouldn't intentionally give them a "Cold Treatment". The better option is to keep the plant happy and growing fast and top it to slow the growth down.

What? He just said don't slow the growth down.. Let me explain.

When it's time to transplant your seedlings use a 5-6" container, you want something bigger than you think you need because they will be in there a while and you want the plant to have as big a root system as possible when it's time to plant. If you're gonna grow these in a container then skip the small pot and go straight to the container, it will develop a better root system.

Let the plant grow until the growing tip forms a "Y" or fork. Not all plants will grow a "Y" but the process is the same. The plant will probably be between 8-12" tall. Clip off the tip right below that "Y" and also remove some of the lower leaves to open up the stalk, this allows light to get to the leaf nodes and that's where the new sideshoots will grow. Once you have a few side shoots growing you can clip off all of the older leaves. The only reason some of the older leaves are left on is for photosynthesis, the new shoots will take over the process.

This pruning/topping method will do the same thing as a "Cold Treatment" but the plant will be healthier and still growing Happy.

I have to agree with Worth, it's all about location. I think timing is also a factor so maybe you should try a few different methods this year and see what works best. Once you find a method that works with your climate, you'll be swimming in peppers.

Keep us informed, we can all learn something from the methods you decide on.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote