View Single Post
Old May 7, 2006   #5
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default CHOPTAG Plant Exchange

I can't think of a better time we have had at our CHOPTAG gatherings!
It is always good sharing time with our friends there and meeting new faces as well. I was pleased that Fred and Diane from English, IN were able to be there as well as Michael and his son and friend, Cathy and her son from Clarksville, IN: I had invited them.
The food was outstanding, the weather was wonderful, and the fellowship warm and endearing!
We left about 3:30 and drove back to Worthville which is close to Carollton.
Several folks gave me surplus plants and with mine added to them I stopped at HazelField Farm, a farm with a house more than 100 yearsold, in the county where some longtime friends live. They grow for Farmer's Market. I always share my tomato seed/seedlings with them because they earn their livelyhood working hard for a living. I took 54 varieties of seedlings from my private collection!
Teresa's daughter is getting married in two week at the farm. The Groom and his Groomen's were there involved in building an Outhouse! Quite the memorable Bachelor's Party I must say. It was the most beautiful necessary room I have ever seen. lol It sits on the side of a slooping hill with a beautiful pond below.
I was showered with fresh eggs from their flock of chickens and Homemade Herbal Soaps like they were preparing as wedding favors; it is all organic and made with olive oil. A friend of their's makes it for the Farmer's Market.
One of the girls came around collecting money and drawing something out an envelope -- I thought it was something for the groom. My slip had the name of a horse on it....would you believe I won the Jackpot as my horse won!
I arrived back home about 8:00 with my prized Kimberly(Thanks to Earl) about four feet tall; it was trimed back two feet already. It has the best looking tomatoes growing on it you ever saw! Can't be long before I will be sampling them! MMm!
This week I need to begin planning where and how I am going to plant all these tomatoes. The Nursery is making a place for me to grow out all the Kentucky Heirlooms and maybe a few more. My friend is taking me to get a truckload of Bunny Poo next Saturday. I am taking the guy some Heirloom Tomato Plants for his kindness; he said I could have all I want. It is like "gold" helping plants grow!
Thanks to all of you for making this such a good experience for our new attendees! Happy gardening to all!

Gary