View Single Post
Old March 23, 2011   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Thats a load of BS!!!!!

Sorry i had to do this
No, you didn't have to do it. I was going to edit your post but decided to leave it for now and just to say that using such an abbreviation that's known to all doesn't stand for the variety Big Sungold. So please do refrain yourself in the future.

Alpine, everyone starts out as a newbie at some point and thre are abbreviations that one learns as one learns more and more about tomato varieties. If you don't understand some of the abbreviations then just ask the person posting what one stands for if you don't see it in the posts above.

There will never be a comprehensive list of tomato variety abbreviations for the simple fact that there upwards of 10-12,000 varieties in circulation. Add to that that many Tville members who are from countries where the spellings of some varieties are truly hard to remember without looking them up each time you want to fully name a variety. And many US folks grow those same varieties.

And there are varieties not just from Europe and other countries, but tons of them from the US that also are hard to spell. If you look at the thread on grow lists here in the GEneral Discussion Forum you'll see that almost to a person variety names are spelled out in full. That's for the Grow lists, but in regular posts many use abbreviations and I do myself.

So, again, if you see an abbreviation for a variety that you don't know, just ask the person right in that thread what it stands for b'c if you PM the person about it that means that perhaps others who didn't know what it stood for and were too shy, or whatever to ask, won't know either.

Hope that helps.