View Single Post
Old August 27, 2016   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I usually just wait til the nights get in the low 60s and the days no more than mid 80s and broadcast. Make sure you don't put them out too heavily or thickly or you will need to thin them which is a pain you know where. It is important to water them lightly once or twice a day making sure not to have water puddle or the seeds can move and form clumps or get buried too deep in the fresh soil. As soon as the seeds germinate well you can let up on the watering. The trouble with planting them when it is too hot is the tiny sprouts can bake if not kept moist and the insects can have a field day with them.

I too prefer the curly leaf mustard for its flavor but it is slower to grow so I always plant both slick and curly leaf so I can start eating them sooner. They will survive most winter freezes down here but the slick leaf mustard are more prone to freezing but will frequently come back even after a hard freeze. Last winter was so mild I had to just pull them all up in the spring cause they were just too old and tough to eat. Besides by then I wanted something else to eat.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote