View Single Post
Old April 6, 2013   #6
MileHighGuy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Thanks a million. That makes me feel better. Any thoughts as to what`s better - perlite or vermicullite? I've read various reviews saying perlite is better. Also, the grow bags - or whatever they are called? Any experience with them?
Sharon
I prefer the Smart Pots or dirt bags. They will breathe better but they tend to need a watering more often. Mulching the top of the container helps it keep moisture in and also keeps the top of the container "alive" and that is normally where the rizosphere is.

Vermiculite is usually smaller. Perlite is fine but it tends to "rise to the top" over time and doesn't stay put. I believe that it is used in soil mixes because it is the cheapest to ship.

I LOVE lava rock. Go to a Landscape supply place and I can usually get a 5 gallon bucket for a few bucks. They lava rock is porous and allows for good aeration and good microbe houses.

All in all, don't worry to much about this, get what is cheap and locally available.

Lately I've been making "Bio-Char" for my containers as it helps with long term nutrient availability and also aeration. There are some very affordable places to find bio-char.... probably even in your grocery store.

Ask away, if you decide you want to try bio-char.
MileHighGuy is offline   Reply With Quote