View Single Post
Old July 6, 2011   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsMama11 View Post
Is there any difference between Yellow Brandywine & Apricot? I received (Apricot) seeds from a fellow named Martin last year, & only one plant lived through the storms & I was only able to get one tomato off of it (that's when I learned about how NOT to grow tomatoes in pots!), but it was a beautiful bright orange (favorite color) , and THE best tasting tomato I believe I have ever tried! Growing a few more plants this year, am excited to see how they do, & taste!
Apricot Brandywine was first listed by a British seed co quite a few years ago and those who have grown it out and compared it with Yellow Brandywine say they are the same. At least that's the feedback that I've seen.

So there's some thought that it never was an apricot color, whatever that really means, and was given that name to make it appear as being unique, etc. And I say whatever the color apricot means, b'c Yellow Brandywine isn't yellow either.

I know the Martin you refer to and in his SSE listing he refers to the color as gold/apricot.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Apricot

As you can see there are no reported commercial sources and almost no listings for it in the SSE YEarbooks, There was a bit of a flap years ago when that British Co first listed it but that seems to have disappeared,

Tania says possibly a cross at her link above.

You might want to pur a couple of Apricot Brandywine plants and a couple of Yellow Brandywine plants in the same season to make the dirext comparison yourself.