View Single Post
Old November 17, 2016   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Jimbo, I always choose Clemson Spineless. I've grown it in 18 gallon pots. The real keys to Okra are hot temps and lots of direct sun. I've grown about a dozen different varieties, but kept coming back to Clemson Spineless for taste and production. I've found okra to be a little bit tolerant of dry conditions, but it still needs some water about every three of four days, but not a lot.

I'm not familiar with the variety you listed, but it should perform well for you. Many folks set out plants they start, but I just take a bag of seed from the Co-op and direct sow them. I do this around the middle of May because the seeds will be slow to germinate and dodge those last of the year "soft frosts" that can kill a garden's tender plants. I make sure the "okra row" is in the full sun.

This past season, I had one 40 foot long row and harvested enough to serve my needs and then I gave the rest to my brother who also gives it to his children and grandchildren and their families. The only problem I had this year was keeping enough water on them.

Edited to add: In my 18 gallon pots, I will have about 8 to 12 plants.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; November 17, 2016 at 06:45 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote