View Single Post
Old November 11, 2019   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

And tonight is the first snow 1-2 inches... no more last minute planting!

My mistake at the cabin was likely soggy potting soil. I overdid the watering so I could spread out my trips. The unheated room was cool, but I think you are correct it was not frozen. The cloves never broke ground though. I started indoors to give the cloves a warmer temp to start, then got lazy about hauling them to the garage where it gets as cold as outdoors. These were 4 gal frosting buckets with holes drilled on the bottom. Drain holes were not as big as tree pots but the buckets were deep enough for the roots to spread. Best of all they come to me already cleaned, and free when they have extras.

I also started small pots with normal peat and crammed a few cloves in, but those didn't thrive due to a lack of water when I was away. They dry quickly when unmonitored, even in a cool shady inside spot.

I'm chicken to grow outside in nursery pots this year, hence the semi protected porch. I saved one temperamental Asian Tempest bulb for safekeeping in a pot. Too much variability in temps, soggy or drying out when I'm not there to monitor. Even blowing over in a really bad storm. If I have to play mother nature, it will be easier for me to water on the sheltered porch. Too cold it gets a tiny bit of protection, with sun warming the pot thru the thin windows. Its going to be a rough winter, so says the meteorologist. Farmers are saying the cattle coats are so heavy they think it is a different cattle variety.

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; November 11, 2019 at 01:20 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote