View Single Post
Old August 9, 2016   #25
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Ok ill say this and no more.
One reason I got out of the food(maple products) business, is that the regs changed. Nobody ever got sick from maple as far as I know, and it went from a largely self regulated industry to one subject to the full weight of the new FDA regs.
The way it was explained to me is if you sell your product in bulk on the day of harvest its a commodity and you are a farmer, not much changes for you. If you hold it overnight or package it or wash it or process it in any way, you are a food processing and food storage facility, subject to regular inspections, and a whole raft of paperwork and regulations, including a written food terrorism response and prevention plan!
Forget it I'm out. Another silent casualty of over regulation.
I understand your pain. Some of the really big businesses have to love regulations (to a certain degree) and can afford to comply, then watch it thin the competition herd that can't comply.
They say food safety protects the children!
But if you look at the percentage of people affected during the previous rules, it is a drop in the bucket. Yet we get these costly, sweeping, burdensome changes to a system that already worked good enough.
Not to minimalize death, but death by food borne illness is barley a blip on the radar. Yet look at the attention it garners.

However, I think the food modernization and saftey act has an exemption on regulation up to around 100k of annual sales (for now).
Not sure if your maple situation went through additional regs.

Last edited by PureHarvest; August 9, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote