View Single Post
Old March 21, 2017   #10
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabar Circle View Post
De colgar is a general spanish term that means " to be hanged", referring in this case to tomatoes species that can be hanged to dry.
No, de colgar tomatoes are not dried, nor intended for drying. They are used fresh or cooked, not dried. They are hanged, because that's how they store longer, but can be stored in other ways.

Quote:
Piennolo means pendolum or to be hanged in oscillation. I've lived in spain fo 2 years and i know what you are referring to. However in terms of quality they cannot be compared to Piennolo which is infact a european protected designation of origin (PDO). This title is not so easily granted and is strictly regional.
I'm not sure I tried the right thing. What I grew as Piennolo was not that good, and it didn't store for long. Everybody says otherwise and that's why I'm not sure I grew the real thing. What I do know very well is that "de colgar" tomatoes can be extremely tasty with amazing quality right from the plant.

You don't know all the "de colgar" varieties, nobody does. Their diversity is overwhelming with many many hundreds of varieties.

Quote:
The Piennolo can be eaten fresh from harvest however due to a thick skin (which allows for the long coservation) is better to have it stored in clusters (as per my avatar) and used to cook later during the year. The taste that it develops is quite unique and makes a tomato sauce of unparalleled taste and overall quality. I am referring to the ones grown there, in that region. Anywhere else taste and quality will be different, possibly inferior. it is still worth a solid try though.
There should be more than thick skin to make it a long storage tomato. As I wrote above, many de colgar varieties can be eaten fresh from harvest.

I've heard a lot of stories telling that a certain variety will only taste well in a certain place. Obviously conditions affect flavour, but the only way to compare things properly is under the same conditions.
Good varieties, when grown under good conditions, tend to be good tasting, and better tasting than bad varieties. I'm not so sure that a special adaptation will prevent great flavour when grown in places were tomatoes in general develop great flavour.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote