View Single Post
Old May 5, 2015   #11
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I have been watching the bio char debate for a couple years now, and have done my research since it became a hot topic. I see so many mistakes on testing and terminology its hard to take any of these studies seriously.

Bio char isn't just char coal. Not all char coal is Bio char. Using Bio char without activating it "will decrease yields". Just those two things alone will make some studies fall flat on their faces.

Think of Bio char as a reserve gas tank. When the soil becomes lacking it reaches into the reserve tank. Now what is stored in the reserve tank is up to you. If you don't store what is needed by the plants it is your fault not the Bio chars.

~ps

If you place inactivated Bio char into your soil it will activate it's self by pulling whats available around it causing a deficit of nutrients until it has reached its saturation point. This is the number one mistake made by gardeners and why they see stunted growth.

Ashes are not Bio char and are not used when amending Bio char to your soil. Bio char does have some ash content in it already and under standing if your Bio char has a high or low ash content affects the PH impact of your soil.

Randomly tossing any old Bio char in your soil can be detrimental to plant growth as well. As I said above not all Bio chars are created equal. Matching the right Bio char to your soil is needed for success.

Last edited by Tapout; May 5, 2015 at 03:12 AM.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote