Thread: Hybrid tomatoes
View Single Post
Old April 7, 2024   #2
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Black: Cherokee Carbon. Healthy plants, excellent production, beautiful and delicious tomatoes.

Reds: We still grow Better Boy and Park's Whopper every year and Big Boy most years; I'm also a big fan of Supersonic. Big Beef seems to be the most popular now but hasn't done well for us in three attempts; will try one more time. Bodacious was pretty good but maybe less disease-tolerant and heat tolerant. I've given up on Moreton and Super Fantastic due to disease. Maybe Beefmaster or Jet Star? Lots of new-ish determinate reds seem to be popular now, but I don't have experience with those. The only determinate red slicer I've tried is Mountain Merit, which was pretty good.

Pink: Maybe Momotaro? I've only grown it once -- liked the tomatoes but production and disease resistance were poor. I'll try it again some time because conditions weren't great that year. I grew Brandy Boy last year -- plant was huge and production was amazing, but I didn't love the flavor of the tomatoes, and there was a fair amount of cat-facing. Steak Sandwich tasted good but the tomatoes were smallish after the first few, and tolerance to disease and heat wasn't great. I have seeds for Think Pink but haven't tried it yet.

Have you tried the Chef's Choice series?
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote