Thread: Hybrid tomatoes
View Single Post
Old April 7, 2024   #6
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown hybrid slicers since...going on 10 years I guess. I don't really consider Big Beef a slicer. All purpose, I think of it as.

Supersteak was a pretty good slicer for size and taste, for two tomatoes! That was a purchased plant. Nothing else got big. I let it sprawl on a trellis but only had morning sun. My aunt loved it, and grew the seed out and thought it was great for 3 generations. She didn't understand F1-->mystery F2, F3 F4 etc. After a while she said it didn't do as well anymore, or she didn't like it, or something. More than anything I think she needs new soil in her raised bed and the cages sprayed with bleach.

Supersteak was basically shaped like a big brandywine, red though I think. Big beefs stay much more rounded for me, unless they get a perfect finish. I think 2020 or so I had a whole of big beef that were perfect and 17 and 18 oz each, without being watery.

I have considered getting a pack of supersteak and trying them again one year.

A big pink that came out a few ago that people like was called Mountain Rouge F1, I believe. They were a buck a seed at that time.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote