View Single Post
Old May 1, 2017   #45
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Wow, interesting Dee.Keep updating us..
I have a couple of parthenocarpic varieties for small spaces, but my space is mostly reserved for tomatoes... and cucumbers do get attacked by bugs much easier.
On the other hand, I love fresh cukes, absolutely delicious, unbeatable .. Eating a cuke/tomato salad is local food at its best.
I just have never seen a small cucumber plant yet... even those 'small and tidy' balcony varieties get large enough to cover the entire wall, lol!
Narnian, I think Picolino would make a great balcony cucumber. As you can see, it already had three cucumbers of eating size with the short vines in the picture. I don't really know it's long term potential, because I concentrated on my outdoor cukes when they started bearing. The Picolino pot got lost in the crowd and not fertilized etc later in the summer. I think you could keep training vines in a fairly small area, as you remove older spent leaves near the bottom.

Have not yet started the F2 seeds, weather took a turn for the colder this week. Had to bring all the greenhouse stuff back into the house and garage because I can't trust night temps under 23F with my small heater.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote