View Single Post
Old February 1, 2018   #113
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My coldest weather is usually from about Christmas through the end of January. It's a good time to give up gardening and let the cold weather kill the bugs and disease I have cultivated all summer.

I am just about to start my first seeds of the year inside, which should be moved out into the greenhouse about mid-Feb. When I only have a few flats of small plants, I can stack them on shelves, cover them with plastic, and put a heater underneath. They are fine that way, even with night temps into the low 20's. My problems arise when weather that cold arrives later in the spring, when I have a greenhouse full of larger plants.
In my cloudy/overcast climate I use solar garden lights as "Indicators ".

When there is sufficient energy /light in the days they light up . It is nice to see the tunnel light up again at night . We actually have mild winter temps. but still the low light levels and fog/ clouds etc. Make December /January not a good bet for passive green house . This year the tunnel "Lit up " January 30th. Hence my reference to Ground hog day to the real start date for me . But I also wait another 10 days for seedling start inside heated shop and seedling bench.