View Single Post
Old March 31, 2007   #5
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default $2.50 a pound to pick?

I don't have any advice for growing strawberries in Texas. Sounds like you have done the right things. But honest to goodness, $2.50 a pound to pick 'em yourself at a farm? Wow! Expensive! And do you normally pay an entry fee to pick whatever may be growing?

If you're ever here in western Oregon's Willamette Valley in late May through the rest of the summer, look in the classifieds for berry farms. Strawberries in late May if the spring is warm enough, through June. Then raspberries, tayberries, marionberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc. until the end of season. If the summer works out right, there may be a few strawberries again in September, but they will be expensive.

Quinault was I think developed in Washington State. At least it is a place name in Washington, and I think also a native American tribe name. I had no idea it was so widely distributed.

Have you seen an everbearing called Tri-Star? I understand more people have had good luck with it, although I have had better luck with the June bearing.

maryinpnw
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote