View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default When green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Maybe we can get Oakley to elaborate a little more. I'm sure the reason my stakes split is because I left them in the ground. The reason for cutting at the joint on both ends is so they won't split.

I have made several fishing poles, and the are a couple years old and still in fine shape. I can definitely see how they could make a fine trellis.

Maybe I should regroup and try it again, because I literally have tons of bamboo, and there's plenty that's already dry. I didn't make the fishing poles out of dry stuff. I cut them green and hung them up on a tree limb with bricks tied to the bottom to keep them straight as they dried.

The biggest I have is about 1 1/4" in diameter.

Cut to the segments that will align nicely for sizing.I.e. 1" pole segments are shorter than a 3" pole segments.Reverse stacking after the close and tight machete trim at those knuckles.Lash at least 4-5 spots tight.They will dry and cure for what ever after your curing/coating regimen and final destination if needs/wanted intent.My Phillipino green striped up to 40footers/3 " max will cure under cover on about 6 months.When processing I always drill a 38 hole through top and bottoms(one segment before ends)for some throughwire positive fastening when needed down stream.Have fun and good luck