View Single Post
Old January 23, 2018   #2346
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I don't add too much seasoning to the water for vegetables, that's the only thing you can eat to cut the heat(besides a cocktail or beer) from the crawfish with all the other stuff I use. Corn is really bad for picking up all of the pepper and it's too hot to eat.

I use Louisiana Crawfish boil, Zatarain's is too salty for me.

You have to add some type of fat either butter or sausage. I use Savoie's smoked sausage and boil it before you add the crawfish(or any seafood). Sometimes when I have to boil a few sacks I also add more sausage with the crawfish and there's never any left over but I'll say the sausage does pick up more pepper.

Here's how I boil
Get water boiling in a 100qt pot filled about 3/4 with water and add 1 cup of crawfish boil seasoning, boil potatoes and onions for 12 minutes then add all the extras you want, this is when I add sausage, corn and mushrooms, boil for another 8 minutes then remove. You can add almost anything and it taste good, cabbage cut in quarters are really good if you like spicy cabbage. Whole broccoli and cauliflower is good too. I would add garlic but someone is allergic so it's not included.

For a sack of crawfish I add about 3/4 of a bag of Louisiana crawfish boil seasoning to the pot after boiling the veggies
3 lemons halved and squeezed, put all this in the water
10 jalapenos halved
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
2 heaping tablespoons of pepper chow chow, I make my own using what ever peppers I have at the time.
Boil for 7 minutes and soak for 10 minutes, longer soaking will make it hotter. Adding a bag of ice to the pot will cool the crawfish down fast and that makes it soak up the seasoning faster. I always let my seafood soak long enough to sink, that's when I know it's soaking up all that flavor. Sometimes I just serve trays out of the pot and let them get more spicy for those knuckleheads that want more pepper. Believe me, this is hot but it's not so hot that you can't eat it because you're only eating a little at a time. I've had people say the first batch is too hot then they're asking for more pepper, I think it's the endorphin rush kicking in.

If you don't wash your hands good you'll know it was hot when you rub your face a few hours later.
EAT and Be happy, a few cold ones helps too.
That same pepper chow chow you sent me?

I ate a whole teaspoon full before I realized how hot it was.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote