View Single Post
Old August 13, 2011   #53
Zana
Tomatovillian™

SMOKED TOMATO SOUP

I don't eat a lot of soup, but when I do crave it, this is my go-to recipe. It's from Dan Barber of New York's Blue Hill and it's one of my all-time favorite recipes, ever. I can't get enough of this soup during the fall and winter months. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Smoked Tomato Soup
(makes 1 quart)

1/4 cup apple, pecan, or hickory wood chips (1/2 in. or smaller)
10 large plum tomatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs.), halved and seeded, 8 coarsely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large leek, halved lengthwise & thinly sliced crosswise
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 garlic cloves, smashed
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh or drained bottled horseradish
1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
Pinch of sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Small basil leaves, for garnish

1. Scatter the wood chips in a medium cast-iron skillet and cover the skillet tightly. Heat the chips over moderately high heat until they're smoking. Put the four tomato halves on a rack (I use a round, metal baker's rack) and set the rack in the skillet. Cover and let the tomatoes smoke for 2 to 3 minutes, or until barely softened. Transfer the tomatoes to a plate and let them cool slightly. Peel them.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and the leek and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened but not browned (about 10 minutes). Add the coriander seeds, garlic, bay leaves and horseradish and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock and sugar. Cover the pot and cook over moderate heat until the tomatoes are softened, about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
3. Puree the soup with the butter and smoked tomatoes until smooth (if you don't have a large capacity blender, work in batches). Strain the soup into a clean saucepan; season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in bowls, garnished with the basil leaves.

Courtesy of The Urban Comfort blog

http://urbancomfort.typepad.com/urba...mato-soup.html
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote