View Single Post
Old January 7, 2017   #11
ChefBertMor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
This size container allows you to grow the larger higher producing indeterminates, possibly untrimmed or at minimum three stems. Providing if you can find a way to keep them nourished.

I'd drill 5 inch holes on the bottom sides and fill them with promixHP and feed them a water soluble fertilizer like chemgro tomato formula or floranova. I'd do the same with at least one 15gal fabric pot, the same variety tomato, and compare.
This going to be a SIP container. So I will have a 4 gal reservoir underneath a 3-1-1 mix of pine bark Pro Mix HP and perlite.

I'm planning to use Texas Tomato Food for fertilizer. I don't know enough about Chemgro or Floranova or Masterblend to use them. TTF just seems a lot easier. I'm just a backyard hobbyist, I don't have the time money or space to get that sophisticated.

There are several strategies out there regarding wicking with microfiber or cotton vs baskets filled with soil less mix, holes vs no holes in the shelf, aeration holes in the sibe above the shelf, with or without overflow holes beneath the shelf! How to decide

Two summers go I did ok with, don't laugh, gallon milk jugs as a reservoir and just packed in the mix into the corners. I actually got quite a few real large Cherokee Purples and Red Zebra's. I want to ramp it up a it up this year and add a bunch of peppers'