View Single Post
Old October 18, 2017   #34
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
Loving all of the conversation on this topic. I was not previously aware of this virus, and back in the spring when I posted for help on what was probably the same condition, we all accepted that it was probably just herbicide damage. Glad that there now is more recognition of this and that there seems to be a lot of work going into understanding it.

So, a few follow-up questions:

1. Is there anything that can be done as a preventative? Will spraying with Neem help to control the whiteflies? I've used Neem before, but usually only after noticing a whitefly problem.

2. I have used the yellow sticky traps for quite a while now, but I don't know how effective they've been. I always still have whitefly problems. Even on the plants inside my pool screen enclosure. Peppers seem affected the worst, to the point where I stopped growing them.

3. I believe my citrus trees have contributed to my whitefly problems. I used to have some plants next to one, and they were horribly infected with whiteflies. Since all three of my trees are suffering from citrus greening, I am having them removed tomorrow, actually.

4. If whiteflies thrive in warmer weather, maybe a later fall plant-out date would be helpful. Here in central Florida, I'm wondering if we're close to getting to the point of having one longer over-winter growing season like south Florida. In my four winters here, we've never once had a real freeze, and only gotten close 2-3 times. Last winter, I could have easily over-wintered if I had prepared for it (i.e., not given up on the mature plants to focus on new seedlings in January). In fact, I'm wondering if I should start new seeds right now and plant them out around December 1 rather than waiting until March 1.

I will continue to monitor the PBTD plant that has not shown any signs yet. Fingers crossed.
Re the first question: I have been using Bill's DE-permethrin-spap spray for a couple of years with mixed results. I really think it helps as a preventative if used early enough and regularly. It seems to me that spraying a newly sick plant sometimes helps it survive to be productive. Also PL plants seem to be more hardy and resistant. I have tried some advertised TYLCV resistant varieties. True, they didn't get the disease but produced fruit that resembled grocery store tomatoes and to me were completely inedible.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote