View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
Regarding 'Jim Dandy': If it is a potato-leaf variety, even if unstable for many other traits, it shouldn't be able to throw regular-leaved progeny without them being the result of a new cross... (ignoring the lower incidence of reversion mutations) since the potato-leaf trait is the recessive form.

So, a site claiming that their potato leaf variety may occasionally throw regular leaf offspring not only suggests instability, it also suggests they don't have good controls to prevent hybridization in their seed source.
I was typing my answer when you posted the above.

There could be a reversion of the original mutation from RL to PL, but only if the original mutation was a single spontaneous one, and I agree that reverse mutations of that kind are rare indeed b'c of the statistics involved in getting just ONE gene in the genome to revert.

Carolyn, who worked with mutational events with both bacteria and viruses and knew of the various DNA mutations with them, as to subsequent changes, but for some stupid reason never thought of it with tomatoes until Keith M shared that with her, so thanks to Keith for that.