View Single Post
Old May 24, 2017   #32
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ricky... ouch!
The container mix that worked really well for me in the past was a mix of compost and peat, that I amended every year with fresh compost and kelp plus some other ferts. Tania also uses a 50/50 mix of peat and compost, so it's not that unusual for organic gardeners. The company that I buy from has a very nice compost made from fish discards and peat. They used to sell a potting mix of about 1/3 compost and 2/3 peat, which made up the bulk of my container mix, but sadly they discontinued the product as it was not profitable for them to produce. I can still buy the peat (in bulk only) and the compost, but I have to mix them myself.
The mistake that made me decide to change out the container mix, is that one spring when they hadn't got delivery on their compost before planting time, I used my own garden compost which was only a year old and still had some layers of herb straw in it that wasn't broken down. It turned out that those compost piles were overwintering sites for sweat bees, and I ended up with tiny bees in the greenhouse - where I expected to control pollination myself. In consideration that some other tiny pests seemed to be getting established as well, I decided to cycle it all out to make a garlic bed and start afresh. Then I got the wrong stuff altogether last year, and now I have to do it all over again. A lot of work moving soil .
The most sensible thing for me to do is to stick with what certainly worked in the past, so I think that's the plan for the big containers anyway, but will try the manure in the mix for some smaller ones - unless it kills my mini Moravsky in the test!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote