View Single Post
Old April 3, 2007   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
What on earth is 'handling' anyway? I went to the store and bought some cornflakes ... 2.99, zero for handling. Bought a couple Papa John's pizzas ... $20, zero handling. I tipped the guy though, is that 'handling'? I'm sure I don't have to give more examples.
You think the grocery store buys the corn flakes for $2.99 and then sells them to you for that price? Heck no. Stores typically pay 50-80% of what you pay and the rest of that money goes towards salaries, profits, etc. You are paying $2 plus shipping, handling, etc. etc. If you want to spend less money on those costs, go to CostCo or other wholesale club.

Totally Tomatoes chooses to list their seed prices closer to the actual cost and then adds $5 shipping, packing, packaging, employee wages, phone, lights, etc. Their seed packets are a very reasonable ~$1.75 for 30 seeds.

If you would prefer, they could set their prices 25 to 50 cents higher per packet of seeds and then drop the shipping to $2. For small orders, you'd come out ahead. For large orders, it would be more expensive than other websites. Why would they want to encourage small orders?
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote